The Alvin H. Wineman House (1922)

Original Historic District Document Info: Built~1924* for William C. Craddock; a real estate salesman. (See Below for corrections) This is a well designed, Provincial style stucco house with a Palladian window on the north side. A sloping center gable frames the arched front entry.
Note: In 1933, Craddock and the owners next door, the Liddles, exchanged houses. See article below.
Map
*The Ventura County Assessor lists this house as being built in 1922.
STATS: 3 bedrooms, 2 bath, 2027 s.f. on an 7000 s.f lot.
Parcel number: 200030200
Last sold: 4/03/2024 for $815,000
Prior Owners (or residents): William C. Craddock (1922-1933); A.E. Liddle (1933-1937); Mr & Mrs Ray D. Snively (1937- 1958); Ronald & Helen Jackson (~1963-2024)
Current Owners (or residents):
Deaths in the house: Ronald Jackson 8/02/2011 (See obituary Below)
CORRECTIONS: According to newspaper accounts, the house was actually built in starting in April 1922 for Alvin H. Wineman who owned a small collection of Department stores. The Wineman family moved in on 8/31/1922. He only owned it for three years before, selling it in August of 1925 to William C. Craddock. In 1937 Craddock exchanged the house with A.E. Liddle next door. So the house is actually the Alvin H. Wineman House, not the William C. Craddock House as listed in the 1999 survey. The house was also noted to be a Swiss Chalet style, not a “Provincial style.”
In early-20th-century California, architectural styles were often eclectic, and bungalow/Craftsman houses could incorporate elements derived from other traditions, including chalet influences. (National Park Service)








